STACEY MIDDLE SCHOOL
6311 LARCHWOOD DRIVE
HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA 9264
OFFICE: (714) 894-7212 FAX: (714) 372-8810
ATTENDANCE HOTLINE (714) 897-6723
Attendance at school is mandatory. Regular attendance and promptness to class are important components of a student’s academic success. Students who are frequently absent may be jeopardizing not only their immediate academic success, but also their ability to graduate. One all-day or period absence could result in a significant loss of instruction for your child. Being tardy to class interrupts classroom instruction.
Any student absent from school may not participate in ANY after school activity the same day.
Please call the Stacey Middle School Attendance 24 Hour Hotline prior to or the day of your student’s absence at (714) 897-6723. The Registrar is available to answer questions at (714) 894-7212 extension 2604. The district nurses are always available if you have any questions about your child’s health.
PHONE CALLS, PARENT AND DOCTOR NOTES
A written absence note or parent/guardian phone call is required within five (5) days. Unverified absences become UNEXCUSED after five days. This is a District policy. We recommend calling the attendance hotline or sending a note with your student to the student window the day of return. No changes can be made to attendance after (5) days.
All notes and phone calls MUST include the following information:
(1) Full name of student
(2) Student date of birth
(3) Date of absence(s)
(4) Specific reason for absence
(5) Parent/guardian name/signature and phone number for parent notes
(6) Stamp or doctor signature for medical notes
Your children can best benefit from their educational program when they feel well enough to participate and are not infectious to other students and staff. Here are a few guidelines you can follow to decide if your child is well enough to attend school as well as school guidelines for sick children:
When it is necessary for a student to arrive late and miss one or more periods due to medical/dental appointments a note from the doctor must be given to the office within (5) days. If the student wasn’t feeling well the parent/guardian must send a note with the student’s first and last name, date and the reason for the absence and signature. Student may be evaluated in the health office for fever.
CHECK OUT PROCEDURE – LEAVING CAMPUS EARLY
To leave campus DURING the school day, parents/guardians or emergency contact listed on the emergency card MUST come into the office to sign out the student(s) BEFORE student(s) can be called out of class. For the student to be marked EARLY EXCUSED for an appointment, a note must be brought from the doctors, dentist, etc. to the office or student window.
Students who are injured or become ill during the day must report to the Health Office and phone called made to the parent/guardian or emergency contact person before leaving campus. Student will be marked EARLY EXCUSED.
The following absences are considered the only legally excused reasons to be absent from school. Students are allowed to make up work for these reasons:
- Illness, medical appointments (with verification from the doctor’s office), quarantine, funeral, school-related activities, court appearance (with verification from the court), jury duty, religious observance and personal reasons with prior administrative approval. (A request for an extended personal absence must be given to the attendance office in writing at least one week prior to the absence.)
- All other absences are considered truant or unexcused. An absence becomes TRUANT when it is not cleared by a parent in writing or by phone within five school days
An unexcused absence is defined as follows:
- All absences not cleared through the attendance within (5) days office by parent, guardian, or doctor are considered unexcused.
- A student missing any class without parental knowledge.
- Students will not be allowed to make up any missed assignments, quizzes, tests, or exams in any class for which they have been marked absent unexcused
- UNEXCUSED (verified) absences include medication issues, headaches, missed bus, asthma, oversleeping, car trouble, baby-sitting, vacation, head lice beyond 2 days. It is the parent’s responsibility to clear the child’s absence within (5) days or it will be marked unexcused. By law, teachers are under no obligation to accept make-up work due to truancies and unexcused absences.
- Please note that unexcused absences may lead to disciplinary action up to and including SARB referral.
The district auto-dialer is utilized for all absences. Upon receiving the automated message, please call the school’s Attendance Hotline or write a note explaining the absence using the guidelines above.
When a student is absent because of an infectious/extended illness, parents/guardians must contact the Health Office, or the student must present a written note to the Health Office before being readmitted to class. Should an absence continue longer than first reported to the attendance office, the parent/guardian must call with the new information. Any student returning to school with a physician's note (including physical education limitations) must report to the Health Office with the note.
Arrangements for family vacations should be made during non-school days. If vacations are planned, it is the student’s responsibility to acquire his/her homework. It is also the student’s responsibility to meet with the teacher and obtain any missed assignments.
EXCESSIVE HEALTH ABSENCE NOTIFICATION
Board policy states “When a student has had 14 absences in the school year for illness verified by methods listed in #1-3 above, (written note or telephone conversation) any further absences for illness must be verified by a physician.” For this purpose, if a student reaches 14 Health Related Absences, an Excessive Health Absence Notification Letter will be sent to the parent following review be the Assistant Principal of Supervision and the School Nurse.
MAKE UP OF WORK MISSED/GRADES
Following an excused absence, a student shall be given a reasonable time by his or her teacher within which to make up the work the student missed during the absence. A student shall not be provided the opportunity to make up the work missed during an unexcused absence and could result in a lower grade.
HOMEROOM TARDY POLICY
Excessive tardies are referred to the Assistant Principal. After 12 recorded tardies the student will be required to sign a Stacey Homeroom Tardy Contract. The Stacey homeroom Tardy Contract states for each day the student is tardy they will be required to serve a lunch reflection the same day. Additional action may include parent contact and student detention.
According to Education Code Section 48260, “Any pupil subject to full time education who is absent from school without valid excuse three days or tardy without valid excuse in excess of thirty minutes on each of more than three days in one school year is a truant.”
Multiple truancies may affect a student’s status to graduate. Attendance will be sent to parents when the following causes have been reached:
Please be aware that California State Law (Education Code 48290) states that parents who fail to meet their obligation of insuring their child’s regular school attendance are guilty of a law violation and are also subject to prosecution pursuant to Article 6. Excessive unexcused absences will result in an invitation to attend the Orange County District Attorney Parent Meeting and/or a referral to the District Pupil Attendance Review Board (SARB).