AVID (Advancment Via Individual Determination)
AVID’s Mission Statement:
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
What is AVID?
In an effort to more fully meet the needs of its students, Stacey has integrated an early outreach college preparatory program—AVID, an acronym for Advancement Via Individual Determination. The goal of the program is to help the “B” and “C” student reach his/her true potential with additional support. It also helps AVID students aspire to attend a 4-year university.
Students who graduate from AVID in middle school and high school will be guided to complete their 4-year college entry requirements. It is a global nonprofit organization dedicated to closing the achievement gap by preparing all students for college and other postsecondary opportunities. Accomplishing these requirements is about a 75% higher advantage than the overall student population.
It is a “self-sufficient” program at Stacey. Therefore, all students in the program must also make a commitment to individually succeed in school academically and behaviorally, raise funds for college and cultural field trips, and volunteer to do community service hours.
Objectives of AVID:
To provide academic instruction and other support to students and to prepare for eligibility in the AVID program in high school and for eligibility to a 4-year university
To increase academic “coping skills” of student participants
To motivate and support students to seek college education throughout 7th and 8th grades and throughout high school*
To increase participant levels of career awareness
Learn to be motivated
Enhance reading and critical thinking skills with Costa’s/Bloom’s Level of Questioning
Improve note-taking and test-taking skills for all classes
Serve our community on and off campus
Visit college campuses
Engage in collaborative learning
Develop success strategies
Work in study tutorial groups with college tutors in class twice a week
AVID may be right for your student if your student:
- Possess intrinsic motivation
- Has excellent attendance
- Strives to get their best grades in school
- Wiling to do 2 hours or more of homework nightly
- Commits to do service hours and/or leadership before and after school
- Has excellent citizenship
- Wants to attend a 4-year university
- Willing to raise funds for field trips
- Be the first one in the family to attend a 4-year university
- If you are interested, please fill out an application in the spring for the following year. There will be interviews as well. Contact Mrs. Valverde for additional information. Good luck!