AVID Elective - Grade 6-8
AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. The program is based on the belief that if students are willing to work hard, they can be taught skills needed to take ownership of their own learning, to complete rigorous courses and be prepared for high school and college.
AVID Yearlong Elective
At Stacey Middle School our year-long AVID elective class for 6th - 8th grade. It provides scaffold support that educators and students need to encourage college and career readiness with success. With AVID, students learn organizational and higher-order thinking skills based on rigorous standards. The student’s academic confidence and self-image improves and they become successful leaders and role models for other students on campus. (application required for enrollment)
Students who graduate from AVID in middle school and high school will be guided to complete their 4-year college entry requirements.
It is a “self-sufficient” program at Stacey. Therefore, all students in the program must also make a commitment to individually succeed in school academically and behaviorally, raise funds for college and cultural field trips, and volunteer to do community service hours.
Objectives of AVID:
- To provide academic instruction and other support to students and to prepare for eligibility in the AVID program in high school and for eligibility to a 4-year university
- To increase academic “coping skills” of student participants
- To motivate and support students to seek college education throughout 7th and 8th grades and throughout high school
- To increase participant levels of career awareness
AVID may be right for your student if your student:
- Possess intrinsic motivation
- Has excellent attendance
- Strives to get their best grades in school
- Wiling to do 2 hours or more of homework nightly
- Commits to do service hours and/or leadership before and after school
- Has excellent citizenship
- Wants to attend a 4-year university
- Willing to raise funds for field trips
- Be the first one in the family to attend a 4-year university
Questions? Contact: Ms. Thach email@example.com
AVID RECRUITMENT VIDEO 2019-2020